Saturday, September 3, 2011

Fruit of the Sea

I was recently updating my catering menu and I was trying to think of seasonal recipes for summer. I came across avocado, and I pulled together some ideas from books, and a few things I have made in the past and came up with the recipe I am going to share today. Now, if you don't like avocado, or shrimp, obviously this might not be a good recipe for you to try. My husband absolutely adores both. I like avocado, but I wouldn't say I love it. He loves it. So, naturally, when I paired that with shrimp, freshly fried flour tortillas, and some homemade pico, he fell in love. He actually said it was the best thing he has ever tasted. If you read my blog you know he says that with some frequency, but it is definitely a sign that I have a winner on my hands.
These would make a great appetizer, or just have a few for lunch like we did. I named them quesadillas, although I didn't put a shell on top, so I guess that would make them tostadas or something else.
Mini Shrimp and Avocado Quesadillas
Makes about 14
Serves 5-7
Salsa:
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 jalapeno, finely diced
¼ red onion, finely diced
½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice from 1 lime
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon cumin

4 large flour tortilla shells, preferably cheddar jalapeno or another yellow colored shell
1 lb shrimp, thawed, peeled, and deveined
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons lemon juice

1 avocado
½ cup spring lettuce mix

Vegetable oil for frying

Combine salsa ingredients in a glass bowl and mix well. Set aside.
Using a biscuit cutter, cut as many rounds as possible out of the flour tortillas. Set aside.
Roughly chop the shrimp until they are all in medium to small size pieces. Place in a glass bowl with salt, pepper, cumin, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
Place a sauté pan over medium heat and add 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil. When oil is ready add shrimp and sauté just until pink. Turn heat to low and keep warm. In another pan, heat 2 Tablespoons oil over medium high heat. Fry tortilla rounds just until crispy and transfer to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Meanwhile, halve the avocado, scoop out the flesh and mash with a fork. Set aside.
To assemble: spread a thin layer of avocado on each tortilla round. Top with shrimp, lettuce, and salsa.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
For a lighter option, use corn tortillas and warm them in a dry pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!