Thursday, September 15, 2011

Marshmallow world

Well, we are all moved now, not quite moved in but we will get there. There is some exciting stuff on the docket, September holds my birthday, and a baby shower for my sister-in-law (I can't wait to make the food!) with an exciting and fun themed menu, cooking show in October, my mom and husband's birthdays, November has Thanksgiving and our annual craft shows! And I won't even get started on December because I haven't planned any events...yet...
I have my husband's promise that we are never moving again. The last time he said that we bought a house, lived in it for two years, completely remodeled and then moved out of state. I hope I can get at least a two year stay out of this one...;)
If you are like me, and like cooking, you probably bake things just because you want to try them or have that itch to bake (btw, I saw this super cute apron at World Market yesterday...it said something like "Stay calm and keep baking". I want it) Anyway. So you probably (like me) end up with lots of baked goods and no one to eat them. I freeze things, give them away to friends, family, the elderly, coworkers, etc, and I still usually have leftovers. I want to post this recipe, because its fun, you get that "I have got to make something" out of your system, and you don't have 6 dozen cookies sitting all over your counter that you are trying not to eat.
These are fun and great for the upcoming holiday season; you can cut them in any shape by using a cookie cutter, dip them in chocolate, or use them plain, and they last forever (well, that might be a bit of an overstatement.) You can flavor them by substituting the vanilla for something else, like almond, orange, or even lavendar. And, the best part is, people are pretty impressed when you make them ;)

Marshmallows

Powdered Sugar
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 cup ice water, divided
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla

Using a sifter or fine mesh sieve, dust a large baking sheet liberally with powdered sugar. Place 1/2 cup of water in the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle gelatin on top.
Stir together remaining 1/2 cup of water, sugar and corn syrup in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sugar has dissolved.
Increase heat to high and cook until mixture reaches 240 F on a candy thermometer (soft ball stage).
Using the whisk attachment, with the mixer running, slowly pour the sugar mixture into the gelatin. Beat on high speed for 10 minutes or until mixture is very thick and glossy. Add vanilla and beat for one minute more.
Spread mixture 1-inch thick onto prepared pan. Dust with powdered sugar and let sit at room temperature for at least 8 hours.
Cut into desired shape and toss in additional powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!