Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Rub a dub

Another recipe I wanted to commit to the annals of this blog is one for a bbq spice rub. I found this in Saveur magazine's Texas issue a few years back. I love that magazine. My husband bought it off of a kid who came to our door, trying to sell subscriptions to help pay for something for his school, or a trip or something. I had never heard of the magazine, but it was food related so of course I was very grateful to my husband for his thoughtfulness.
I instantly loved the magazine. I loved it because a lot of freelance writers contributed essays dealing with eating, cooking, traveling (and eating), and culture. Even if it is a genre of food that I am not particularly fond of I like knowing what people eat, and how they eat. I love reading stories about somebody's grandma who lives in New York City and makes some special dish from the old country in her tiny apartment every year and her family gathers around to eat and celebrate.
I love their 100 list that will have anything from homemade ketchup and mustard to dutch ovens and spatulas. Things I love reading about!
This recipe is great. I mix up the ingredients in a Mason jar and keep it in my cupboard throughout the BBQ season. It packs a lot of great flavor and is basically effortless.

Barbecue Rub
Photo credit Todd Coleman
3 Tbsp. salt
3 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp. paprika
4 tsp. garlic powder
4 tsp. mustard powder
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried thyme

Massage into chicken, beef, or pork before grilling or oven roasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!